fredag 5 augusti 2016

In retrospect: Magnum (UK)

Welcome to my second round of "In retrospective:", which today will feature non other than the excellent British band Magnum. If you're European, especially British, German or Scandinavian, then there's a good chance you know about these guys. If you're American and never heard of them before, then I wouldn't be surprised. Magnum tried and they failed at breaking the American market back in the day, but in Europe they were fairly successful or at least well-known with a dedicated fan-base.

My introduction to Magnum was through my old man, who was a big fan of Magnum as he grew up in the 80's. When I grew up and got a liking to hard rock and metal music in 2002, I eventually discovered his old vinyl stash, and with practically every Magnum album from studio to compilation being included (except for "Chase The Dragon", sadly), it wasn't long before I was another fan of the band.

The thing I've always loved the most with Magnum is the vocals. Bob Catley's such an amazing artist with a most passionate voice full of emotion, like Ronnie James Dio for instance, but with another character to it of course. His stage presence is also rather unique, as my girlfriend pointed out after watching old and new live videos of them. Then of course we have guitarist and song-writer Tony Clarkin, who is yet another (sadly) way underrated veteran in the genre. Writing all the music and lyrics for Magnum, I think his talent is very apparent, especially if you consider how all the other members the band has had throughout the years, were alright with him being the sole writer.

Musically speaking, Magnum is usually referred to as simply hard rock, or more often (and probably correctly) melodic hard rock or pomp-rock. Personally, I dislike the latter because of the word pomp's meaning in my native language; Swedish. I don't know how many ways and meanings you use it for in the English language, but in Swedish the word pomp, which is translated into "pompös" or "pampig" most of the time, can have both a positive and a negative meaning. Generally, however, I believe the word is mostly used in a more negative sense, like describing something or someone who is pompous in a bad or irritating way.

But enough of my talk now and let's instead go into their discography. Just like last time, I will present their releases (excluding some compilations and live albums) and make brief comments about my opinion regarding them, but also try to add a fair score to each and everyone of them. Let's go!

------------------------------------
Album / (year) / score (out of 10)
------------------------------------

Kingdom Of Madness (1978) - 7.0

Comment: The debut album which was actually recorded in 1975 already, but delayed for three whole years. I can only assume it was because of label bullshit, or a lack of one altogether perhaps, but this album is rather special in their discography. It doesn't quite sound like the classic Magnum, leaning more towards a progressive rock sound and sounding quite like a product of its time. Some tracks are really good, especially the title-track (though it was later remade) which is a classic live-staple of theirs. A solid release but the best is yet to come.


Magnum II (1979) - 8.5

The band's second album a lot closer to the classic Magnum sound, although still leaning a lot towards the progressive influences. This album was done before the band's long-time and classic keyboardist Mark Stanway joined the fold, but it's still a very keyboard-driven album. Actually, I would even say that it's at times more keyboard-driven rather than guitar-driven, and the keyboards do not rarely give me vibes of how the likes of Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis or Tangerine Dream sounded at the time. A very good album.


Marauder (1980) - 7.0

A rather classic release from the band, this one happens to be a live album. To be honest, I am not too big a fan of live albums but I do enjoy some classics, with Judas Priest's "Unleashed In The East" being the perhaps best live album ever made. So, with that said, this is not a bad one by any means, but it just doesn't quite interest me that much either. However, I thought it was important to include this one since it appears to be well-appreciated among the band's fans, not to mention that several of the live takes on here are featured on several compilation albums instead of their studio-album counterparts. But once again, like always with live albums, I have no clue how much of this album is actually recorded live (or not).


Chase The Dragon (1982) - 9.8

Just like the debut record, this one was recorded in 1980 but delayed until 1982 because of label bullshit. This is in several ways somewhat of the "real" debut album for the band, as it was the first to feature long-time keyboardist Mark Stanway, which would cement the classic ever-going trio of Catley-Clarkin-Stanway. The album itself also features the true trademark sound of Magnum, not to mention it's heavier (perhaps their closest one to being heavy metal, without quite being that). The songs are all just excellent compositions and Bob Catley's vocals are really powerful on here. Why he didn't get more recognition for his amazing voice is beyond me. Needless to mention to other Magnum fans, this album also features several live-classics for the band, with particularly "Sacred Hour" being in mind, and what an amazing intro it's got!


The Eleventh Hour (1983) - 8.5

This one always struck me as being a classic release by the band, but from what I've come to understand through several fans and the band themselves, this album is many times closer to being "disliked". I personally can't imagine this to be very true. Sure, the band themselves were quite bitter at their label during this album's release, and thus maybe associate it and its music with bad times, but for me as a fan, this one is just another great album. What I particularly like about this one is how it once more manages to sound different while still maintaining Magnum's trademark essence. Musically, I always thought this album sounded like "English pub folk-rock music", something that would fit perfectly into the painting for the band's next album.


On A Storyteller's Night (1985) - 9.2

The band's first breakthrough came with this one, featuring classics like "Just Like An Arrow", "Les Mort Dansant" and particularly the ever-going live-staple epic "How Far Jerusalem". While it's certainly a somewhat more easy-accessible record and cleaner-sounding in the production department, I think it still manages to maintain a complete Magnum trademark sound, not to mention it feels like a natural progression for the band. Perhaps this one is more AOR-oriented, but it's still driven by a duel between guitar and keyboards, with heavy pounding drums and Bob Catley's fantastic voice in a very good performance. This would probably, really, be the best introduction you could get into the band's music.


Vigilante (1986) - 7.0

Another classic to many, somewhat of a sell-out to others, but to me this one is most of all a typical sign of the times album. Featuring an ultra-clean(ed up) production and lots of rather cheesy keyboards, this one was very much a typical 80's AOR album. Compared to the band's previous efforts, this one has more in common with the likes of Bon Jovi rather than Magnum themselves. Sure, some of the tracks are really good and well-worth getting the album for alone, but some tracks sound like leftovers from Billy Idol's then-new "Whiplash" album. Not bad, actually pretty good for what it is, but far from Magnum's finest hour (or trademark sound).


Wings Of Heaven (1988) - 6.0

At its time, this one was the band's most successful record in England, but in most other countries as well, I believe. I always found it rather ironic, however, that their most commercially successful album would prove to be the one I like the least (at least thus far). Once again, it's not at all a bad album, but its particular ultra-80's AOR sound doesn't really appeal that much to me.


Goodnight L.A. (1990) - 6.5

A continuation of the band's more easy-accessible sound, and also their most American-friendly release. Specifically aimed at the (north) American audience to try and break there, it does sound like a mix of recent Magnum albums with some typical American radio-rock. I actually prefer this one over the previous album since this at least is a bit rockier again, but it's kind of a hit-or-miss album. To summon it as best as I can; if I look at the album's track-list, I recognize a few songs all of which I like. The rest I cannot even recall what they sound like.


Sleepwalking (1992) - 6.8

A good step away from what the band (or label, rather) tried to do over the last three albums. This is certainly sounds more like the good ol' Magnum again, but in a somewhat more "mature" approach. I mean, the guys were like 40 years or so at this point, so it's understandable the sound matured a bit with them. But overall this is not something that I truly appreciate, yet. Some songs are really good and while the album maintains a better standard than the previous few albums, it's simply (still) not quite appealing to me.


Rock Art (1994) - ?

I don't recall ever listening to this on or its tracks. I don't have in my collection either, so I'll let this one pass for now. (After a quick Googling, I found out at the band themselves are very fond of this particular album, looking back on it today. I will have to get my hands on it.)


Breath Of Life (2002) - ?

The second (and last) album from Magnum which I currently don't have. I have heard some stuff from it, like the two songs which are featured (remixed or re-recorded) on the Evolution (2011) compilation, and a snippet or two perhaps, I don't remember. From what I've heard about this album from the band themselves, however, this album doesn't really sound like Magnum, but rather a mix of Mag and Hard Rain (the band Tony and Bob were in with current bassist Al during the 90's). I haven't heard the Hard Rain records either, so I don't have many clues about what this album is like, but the band themselves don't seem too interested in this one these days. I'll leave its rating blank for the moment.


Brand New Morning (2004) - 7.0

Widely considered to be the first "real" Magnum album since their reformation in 2001 by the band and fans alike. To my ears, it sure does sound like a modernized Magnum as well. The album itself, however, is not really their strongest effort since their reformation. Apart from perhaps Breath Of Life (I wouldn't know), this is their weakest post-reformation album. Some songs on this one, like the opening/title-tack for instance, are the best songs by Magnum since 1985. Some other songs just tend to not be as strong, and that's both alright and understandable, but at this point, Tony Clarkin and Magnum were just getting started with crafting their modern sound which we're familiar with today.


Princess Alive And The Broken Arrow (2007) - 8.8

This is officially, to me and many other fans alike, the best Magnum album in a very long time. To me, it's the band's best since 1985, but some fans hold this one as the band's best album, period. It's a bloody fantastic record which shows the return of the band's long-time artwork maker Rodney Matthews (one of my favorite artists, I might add). The album continues in a very similar direction like the previous album, but with more focus and better songs, I believe. Some of the band's strongest tunes to date are present here, and this was luckily just the start for a completely reborn Magnum.


Into The Valley Of The Moonking (2009) - 8.0

A slight step down from the previous record, but it's neither surprising nor a bad thing. It was kind of expected considering how good the previous one turned out. What is a bit weird, however, is why they chose "Cry To Yourself" as an opening track. I honestly have a hard time coming up with another example of opening tracks this inappropriate. It doesn't suck you in at all and it's a rather low-pace, ballad-esque tune. Otherwise, this album is very strong. It's a bit more ballad-esque overall I think, but they're all strong songs. The more rockier numbers also give me strong vibes of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, which is a good thing. Another thing I've gotten the impression of is that this album is somewhat overlooked among Magnum fans. No one seems to talk about or listen to this one, and that is very odd considering how good it is.


The Visitation (2011) - 8.0

Another just-as-strong effort from Magnum, and yet another proof that the new-born Magnum is a force to be reckoned with. Compared to the previous album, this one is both less Rainbow-esque and ballad-esque in its approach and sound. The rockier numbers, particularly the opening track "Black Skies" are heavy-riffing melodic hard rock and has a similar vibe to (the track) "Brand New Morning", both of which in turn remind me of Led Zeppelin somehow. Overall, however, this album manages to vary itself more compared to the previous one, but instead loses somewhat of Moonking's consistency. At the end I'd say they're both equal in quality, though.


On The 13th Day (2012) - 8.2

Once again Magnum takes a slight turn musically and once more delivers a more varied album, but also a very colorful one. This album has got an excellent album art once again done by Rodney Matthews and it's full of lovely colors in almost a carnival-esque setting. The music sounds very fitting in relation to the album art, for sure. So this basically covers several areas in a wider stretch compared to most of the band's albums. There are some typical Magnum anthems such as the opening track "All The Dreamers", classic Magnum ballads, and even a real heavy one this time around in "Dance Of The Black Tattoo". It's got a lighter atmosphere at times compared to the recent three albums or so, but also darker moments. Overall a very good mix.


Escape From The Shadow Garden (2014) - 9.5

In a way, this is Magnum's very finest hour in my opinion. There are a few of their records that come close, but the only one that would possibly beat this one is Chase The Dragon, and that's out of a sheer nostalgia factor. This album is absolutely lovely and somewhat of a contrast to On The 13th Day. If that one was mostly light and joyful, then this one is darker and viler. I just love everything about this one from the tunes to the very dark artwork (by Magnum standards). Most of the guys in the band were around 65 when they did this one, and they rock harder on this one than they've done in a long time. It's an absolutely fantastic record and every song is great, making the album all-around very consistent and interesting.


Sacred Blood "Divine" Lies (2016) - 9.0

The band's most recent album as of today. I honestly didn't doubt they would come back with yet another great album, but I maybe expected another 8:er. I certainly did not expect the band to follow up their previous triumph with an album worthy of a solid 9, but they did. This album kind of follows the last one in style and sound/production, but it's not quite as dark-sounding this time around. Still, the songs aren't really as colorful as On The 13th Day, either. What it is is a melodic hard rocking journey through Magnum's lovely trademark keyboards and riffs, with some (still) amazing vocals by Bob Catley. Seriously, the man's voice is still as passionate as ever, and it's a crime by everyone who doesn't acknowledge his chops.


...

If you're knew to Magnum and love 80's hard rock, melodic rock, AOR or NWoBHM, I suggest you check out Magnum. Either use this guide to buy an album or two, or go digital via iTunes, Spotify or Google Play. It's a lovely band with lovely music, and it's a great shame that they never made it bigger.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar