fredag 14 december 2012

Jim Morrison alive?!

So what if Jim Morrison, lead singer of the amazing 60's band The Doors, was still alive? Who knows, maybe he is. Jim was a true rockstar persona, even if he wanted to be one or not. Of what I've read and understood he was not very fond of it at all, and it's said that the rockstar lifestyle ain't no pretty thing, so I have no hard times believing that. Personally, Jim is one of few people whose words I've paid any attention to at all. Most bands always were music first, words last, with lots of things in between. Vocals have always more or less just been an essential extra melodic instrument in music to me. I pretty much never cared for the topics of lyrics, except for the power ballad love ones. I mean c'mon, everybody pretty much goes through heartache, I've done it too, lots of times. I don't need to hear a hundred bands on the radio, at the same time, singing about the same fucking thing - how their girlfriends is done screwing them and wants to screw someone else. That topic is just so tiresome, especially in the 80's with all the bands I love.

Jim's lyrics are different, however. I remember as a kid when my dad had a poster of Jim and there were commercials on TV of different The Doors compilations. My dad laughed at me because I tried to sing "Light My Fire" in a fictional English (I was like 8-9, couldn't speak a word of English). I started listening to The Doors by myself (of course my dad also played them at home, so I grew up with them) in 2009. It was like a bomb dropped, it was so good. At first I pretty much fell for the obvious hits, classics or whatever, but I soon found out how great all of their albums are. Today I guess I mostly prefer medium-known or "filler" songs by them, but I listen to them very often and it doesn't really matter what comes on.

One thing that is very tragic, but also very interesting, is the death of Jim Morrison. It's said that he died in Paris after he went there. Well I guess that it's true that he moved there, as the surviving Doors are saying that themselves. But no one really knows how he died, there are just theories. I've read quite a lot and the most likely one would be some kind of drug-related thing, I'm sure. While I certainly hope that Jim died a graceful death, I find that very unlikely. One theory is that he was found in a bathtub by his girlfriend Pamela Courson. That doesn't feel like any justice at all, to me. But then I've also read all sorts of comments about him being alive, which is just people fucking around, of course, but what if he was still alive, what could he possibly be up to today?

As it was pretty obvious, Jim was not a fan of his stardom and would most likely have gone into obscurity. Maybe he staged his own death to get away from everything, but I don't like that theory as I think it's disrespectful to Jim and his family and friends. But if he's alive, or at least was alive for more years to come after his official death, I really hope he had a good time after The Doors. His words have given me a lot of thoughts and many hours of recognition when times were hard on me.

I just want to thank Jim Morrison and The Doors for making amazing, poetic lyrics and music.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar