måndag 10 december 2012

The Best AND Most Disappointing Albums Of The Year 2012

I remember back during the first half of my teen years, maybe like 2003-2007, there were very few new(er) bands that I liked. I was a very closed-minded, old school-only listener and listened to almost 80's music exclusively, apart from the 70's Gods like Sabbath, Zeppelin, AC/DC, Purple, and so on, you get the picture. In 2007, however, all that changed and I started to expand my musical mind with a big step into the 90's music (still dissin' the modern metal of that time, which still is pretty much the same metal today, unfortunately). The music was Death Metal, particularly the Swedish, classic old school-era and the East coast (Stockholm) sound. Entombed was the first band to break me into it with their legendary debut "Left Hand Path", but was soon followed by Dismember, which from that point to this day remain my favorite death metal band ever.

Anyway, in late 2007 I needed to cool off from all the ultra-pissed off extreme metal with something more mellow, but I wasn't really in the mood to return to my old NWoBHM / heavy and thrash metal, as well as AOR. To add is that I totally abandoned AOR in mid-06 when my band got a re-charge and we started to crank thrash metal 24/7 for some innovative influence and cleansing (the others were into Sum 41-punk, which is faggot punk, as well as nu metal, very much to my distaste as I've never liked those music styles). After that, whenever I hear AOR, I can't listen to it. It's just too much "midlife crisis music" to me, and I'm still young, hungry, and in need of going crazy to music, not in need of some cozy fucking and tender words during it after some wine and a luxious dish.

But as I was trying to explain, in late 2007 I took a pause from death metal and got addicted to early 90's alternative music and metal. With the great Jane's Addiction cracking me into this wave, it all soon followed with bands like Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mr. Bungle, and particularly Faith No More, which today is my favorite band. Danzig was another band I really cranked a lot every day, but I actually started to get into them in 2005 already (they had one 80's album ... they passed my then-rule #1: only 80's) and in 2006 they pretty much were the only non-thrash band that I listened to. I even had a T-shirt with their classic Devil's skull and logo (it became to small later on and I gave it to a skinny friend in 2009 or early 2010). So Danzig was pretty much the first 90's band I ever listened to and they are to this day a top-5 favorite band o'mine. Then I also got into old school hip-hop, electronic music and so on. My musical has expanded all the time and still does.

BUT NOW I'M DONE WITH THE HISTORY LESSON. I'm sorry, I just have so many fond memories and too much love for the music to not wander off like that. The point with all that is that today, I listen to all kinds of music, or at least I give it a shot, and it doesn't matter what time it was made in either.

So 2008 was a pretty bad year musically, I wanna recall? However, it WAS a year when things started to get better, and it has gotten better with each year since then. I thought 2011 was a pretty great as well as surprisingly good year musically, but I think I dare to say that 2012 has topped it!

Here's my list of this year's best albums:

1. Overkill : The Electric Age
- Intense, high-energy, "electrified" thrash (see what I did there! *ba-dum-tsch*). After the phenomenal Ironbound in 2010, Overkill went for a less proggy approach this time, but still kept the total-ass-kicking intact. The album of the year for me, congrats guys!

2. Steelwing : Zone Of Alienation
- As a fan of the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal retro style, particularly the Swedish bands, this was a real solid ball of metal. I love everything about this album. I'm actually even going back and forth whether this is even better than Enforcer's Diamonds (2010) or not.

3. Unleashed : Odalheim
- And this one goes for the Death Metal album of the year. While they actually are a band whose latter material I prefer before their old, classic stuff, this album only made it more obvious: it fucking kicks ass! Their best album yet!

4. Rage Against The Machine : S/T remastered "XX 20th Anniversary"
- I know, not nearly a "new" album by any means, but a nice remaster, if not too different from the original, and it's got their first demo as well as some live tracks as bonus material, and that is what makes this release so great for any RATM fan.

5. Kill Devil Hill : S/T
- Maybe there are a few releases that would deserve this spot more, but I chose this because, 1. I for one really like this album, 2. I really looked forward to it for quite many months. I can confess that I wasn't reaaally satisfied with my expectations upon hearing it, but still it's a great album. I really like the voice.

6. Down : Part IV: The Purple EP
- I love Down, especially their third and latest full-length album. This was not a let-down apart from the one little fact: this is an EP. If it only would've been a full-length release and pretty much as good or better than Over The Under, it would've landed on fourth place.

..................................................................................................

Here's my list the most disappointing albums of 2012:

1. Testament : Dark Roots Of Earth
- Well. I love them, they're one of my absolute favorite bands, but no, something went wrong here. I was sooo anticipated about this one, and it finally showed to have been way too much. I was totally disappointed. It's not a bad album and Alex Skolnick is amazing, one of my favorite leads ever. The music's just too mediocre and Native Blood was a bad choice for a single. Also disappointing that my favorite drummer Gene Hoglan didn't get to do what he does best - beating the shit outta the drums, making tsunamis all over the world from the blastwaves.

2. Fear Factory - The Industrialist
- I had a moment of a few months in 2009 where I was addicted to their classic album Demanufacture, but just like then, the rest of their stuff still just sound recycled in a shittier form. Boooring.

3. The Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
- I love Dev, I love his music, I have followed his music since 2007 I think, when I discovered Strapping Young Lad. Never has any of his albums really disappointed me. Some were not master-masterpieces, but they were great. This one was not a funny listening experience. After hearing preview samples from it, I didn't feel like anything really stuck out to me, and upon hearing the album I got it confirmed. It was kinda boring. But I don't judge Devin. The man is constantly trying out new approaches with his music, even if his trademark wall-of-sound is present everywhere, and one cannot simply make awesome albums without failing at least once. To me, this was Dev's first failure, and not a big one at that.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar