fredag 18 augusti 2017

Black Sabbath: All Albums Ranked Worst To Best

Black Sabbath might just be the most important band of all time to me. My parents grew up listening to Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio and all that stuff during the 80's, then I got to grow up with all that stuff during the 90's and early 2000's. By 2002, I had become interested in music myself and metal was, of course, the best shit in the world.

So where did I start off? It was Ozzy and his solo stuff that really got me into music as a whole, but with him Sabbath obviously followed. From there I discovered Dio (the band) and his previous works with Rainbow. I also kept an open mind towards the post-Dio eras of Sabbath and thus discovered that both Ian Gillan and Glenn Hughes used to be in Deep Purple. You know, the list just goes on and on.

With Black Sabbath essentially being the centerpiece of my entire musical world, I just had to make one of these lists for their albums. That is all of their albums, i.e. anything labeled "Black Sabbath" which have guitars performed by Tony Iommi. So, let's begin!

Classic Sabbath: Geezer, Ozzy, Tony, Bill

19: Forbidden (1995)

 Last place and thus the worst album of Black Sabbath's career is none other than, surprise surprise, 1995's Forbidden. It's definitely the most disliked album of their career by the fan-base in general, and for quite obvious reasons in my opinion. I don't really find the album particularly bad like many others do. For instance, I don't really have a problem with the album's mix which tend to be a real earsore to some fans. I just think it lacks a lot of the essential things that make a Sabbath album being Black Sabbath. It sounds like one of those typically dated mid-90's metal records which tried too hard to be up-to-date at the time.

Favorite track: Kiss of Death


18. Born Again (1983)

The sole album featuring then former Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillan on vocals. This was where Sabbath kind of started to fall away from the public eye and it's quite easy to hear why. There's nothing wrong with Ian Gillan and his vocals at all, but he belongs in Deep Purple and not Black Sabbath. With that said, the bulk of the album itself was kind of lackluster and its horrible mix didn't help any of it one bit. It's still got a few great tunes, though.

Favorite track: The Dark/Zero The Hero

1983-'84: Ian Gillan, Tony Iommi, (touring drummer) Bev Bevan, Geezer Butler

17. 13 (2013)

Sabbath's first Ozzy-fronted album in 35 years just didn't quite fare all too well with me. If I'm being completely honest, then I think it's actually a really boring album. It does nothing for me. On top of that there is no Bill Ward playing drums. Yes, I am the super-biased kind of fan. After all, if anything without Ozzy no longer is "Black Sabbath", then how can it be without Bill Ward? It was always Ozzy, Tony, Geezer and Bill. That was Black Sabbath. This isn't. Whatever. Then we have Rick Rubin's awful production. It just sounds raw in the most plastic way and, of course, it's also brick-walled to high heaven. I hate the guy's production work. Ultimately I could've just lived without this "reunion album".

Favorite track: Methademic


16. Cross Purposes (1994)

At this point it already starts to get difficult to chose where to rank a few of the lesser great albums which remain. I'd say that everything from this one and below is pretty effin' great and only gets better and better, but you know, I decided to do this so I've got to make up my mind. This album, which really is quite cool, gets the 17th place for sounding a bit too dated. It's a good heavy metal record but it also sounds like a typical product of its time.

Favorite track: Cross of Thorns


15. Never Say Die! (1978)

Another album that's been quite bashed throughout the years. Initially I wasn't too fond of it either, but it has really grown with me in recent years. It sure is different from the earlier stuff with Ozzy but I for one welcome the evolving change of their sound at the time. There are some seriously overlooked gems on this record.

Favorite track: Junior's Eyes


14. Tyr (1990)

This is quite an interesting and unusual Sabbath release. First off, it's with the most excellent (and majorly underrated) Tony Martin on vocals, but it's also the only Black Sabbath to rely more on viking themes rather than christian ones. As a Swede I find these lyrical themes quite interesting and Tony Martin was also a good writer of lyrics. The one thing that makes it a less awesome Sabbath record, however, is how it tends to sound more like a power metal band rather than Black Sabbath. It's not really anything wrong with it. I mean, they pull it off masterfully, but it's not what I want or expect(ed) from a Sabbath record.

Favorite track: Anno Mundi

1990: Tony Martin, Tony Iommi, Cozy Powell, Neil Murray

13. Vol. 4 (1972)

I know this one has a very dedicated fan-base who believes that it's Sabbath's very finest hour. I on the other hand always felt like it was lacking something. It was their fourth album in the span of two years and I think that it shows to some extent. Less memorable songs and the mix sounds more  primitive in a rushed kind of way. It's still a great record, don't get me wrong, but just not one of my favorites.

Favorite track: Snowblind


12. Dehumanizer (1992)

Sabbath's reunion album with Ronnie James Dio, at the time, and it's the heaviest shit they've cranked out since the mid 70's. The album itself, however, falls somewhat short in comparison to the earlier Sabbath records with Dio on vocals, as well as Dio's own solo material at the time. It's doomy and heavy as all fuck, but it just doesn't quite cut it anyway. It's one of those scenarios where you are just left like you expected something more.

Favorite track: Master of Reality


11. Seventh Star (1986)

It's up for debate whether this one should really be regarded as a Sabbath album or not. It was initially intended as Tony Iommi's first solo album, but record labels tend to be money hungry cunts without any respect for integrity. Still, seeing as Tony was the sole original member for most of the time after 1984, I view this as a Sabbath release anyway. It is quite different compared to most of the band's other albums, though. It's got a very melodic heavy metal sound which is quite typical of its time, but it's the exact kind of 80's sound I fucking love. Besides, Tony's rocking a mean guitar tone on this one.

Favorite track: Danger Zone

1986: Dave Spitz, Glenn Hughes, Tony Iommi, Eric Singer, Geoff Nicholls

10. Technical Ecstasy (1976)

I always thought this album was unfairly underrated for an Ozzy-Sabbath record. I love the bulk of this one, with a few exceptions. To me this is just another great Sabbath record, albeit a bit experimental but in a good way. Some moments on this one reminds me of Queen, in a good way. Some other stuff sounds like the typical riff-heavy Sabbath we all love. Bill Ward also proved to be a great singer on this record.

Favorite track: You Won't Change Me


9. Heaven And Hell (1980)

At this point it's become really hard to decide where to place the remaining albums. As classic and great as this record is, and I truly love it, it's got a few moments which don't hold up quite as well as the others. Regardless, it's more or less a flawless record and the band performs exceptionally. Bill Ward hits those drums like a beast and Dio's vocals are just as amazing as ever.

Favorite track: Die Young

1980: Bill Ward, Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iomii, Geezer Butler

8. Headless Cross (1989)

Another album with the excellent Tony Martin on vocals. Sadly I don't think this album would made it as far up in ranks on most other fans' lists. I am a fan of Black Sabbath regardless of what era we're talking. Tony Martin's voice is one of my favorites of all time as well. This album is yet another slightly different kind of record for Sab, as it features some typical AOR-esque influences which were popular at the time. I guess one way to describe it would be a "satanic Whitesnake and/or Blue Murder". There certainly are some traits of those kinda bands on this record, while still sounding like Sabbath of course. Tony Iommi also brings out some of his greatest guitar work on this one.

Favorite track: When Death Calls


7. Black Sabbath (1970)

Black Sabbath's debut album is as classic as it gets. It also marks something of the "official" birth of heavy metal. It's without doubt one of the greatest records of all time, still it ends up on 7th place on my list. I really think that says something about it, the band and the overall quality and impact of their music. The title-track, as well as the first Sabbath track, amazed me in a way no other song has ever done when I first heard it. I didn't really know any metal at that point, nor any other "extreme music" for that matter. I was 12 in 2002 and heard it for the first time. It could've been 1970 for all I know. To me it was so dark and sinister in a really uncomforting way, yet so chilling and amazing.

Favorite track: Black Sabbath


6. Paranoid (1970)

"How come you place this as low as 6th?! It's the best!!" Well, first off, I am a Black Sabbath fan. I listen to everything they ever put out, not just this one album. Unfortunately, it seems like this is the only album a large majority of listeners go for. Looking at Last.fm, for instace, confirms this as well. I dunno. It's their "hit record" for sure, but these songs were never their "hits" to me personally. I always liked a lot of other songs more. As fuckin' great as this record is, it's just not that extra ordinary special to me.

Favorite track: Electric Funeral


5. The Eternal Idol (1987)

"Watt fockin' album's thiz?!" You see the title above. It's also the first album with Tony Martin. Inititially this was going to feature the late Ray Gillen on vocals but I'm glad they ended up with Tony Martin instead, seeing as I like his voice slightly more. Possibly the most underrated album of Sab's entire catalogue. It's not perfect but it's a damn good record. Powerful vocals, riffs and solos. Some more notable background keyboards as well. The mix is pretty much the only downside about this one. It sounds more like a rough mix rather than a finished product. I dunno. It works but it could've sounded better. The songs, however, are really good in my opinion. I just love this album!

Favorite song: Ancient Warrior


4. Mob Rules (1981)

My favorite Sab album with Dio on vocals. Just a great heavy metal record. Unfortunately it's a somewhat underrated/overlooked one as well. The band themselves, as well as fans, seem to think lesser of this compared to Heaven And Hell. I always thought this was a better record and the songs are really fuckin' good. Some more doom and groove on this one. I guess that appeals to me more. Vinny Appice is also one of my favorite drummers. The best drummer Sabbath ever had after Bill Ward.

Favorite track: Voodoo


3. Master of Reality (1971)

For a long time this used to be my favorite Sab album. I guess I wore it out to a slight extent while the top two grew on me more. Nonetheless this is still an amazing album to my ears. The songs with their heavy riffs, Ozzy's trademark vocals and the excellent rhythm section with Bill and Geezer is just a perfect combination. Definitely one of the most classic metal albums of all time.

Favorite track: Children of the Grave


2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

This one also used to be my favorite for a while. This one had more variety than the previous records without going into the quite experimental routes which later Ozzy-Sabbath records did. It's just an amazingly mastercrafted piece of music. Ozzy also reached his vocal peak around this period of time and I always loved his nasally ways of singing.

Favorite track: Spiral Architect


1. Sabotage (1975)

And the winner is none other than this masterpiece right here. Initially it wasn't made favorite, as I've already pointed out, but it has grown and grown and grown on me over the years and it's just grandeur. Every single note is nothing but perfection. It's just the perfect Sabbath album in all ways imaginable. It's got great songs, a great flow and all the members are really peaking performance-wise. It's just a perfect mix of everything Sabbath was with Ozzy during the 70's.

Favorite song: Megalomania



That's a wrap, folks! I hope you enjoyed my list! And remember, it's just my personal opinions. Nothing to get butthurt over if they don't agree with your own.

Black Sabbath might be over now but their music and legacy will live on. Whereas their run has ended, my has merely begun. But at least I know that they will run with me until the day my own run ends, and hopefully beyond as well!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar