tisdag 31 juli 2018

Revisiting: Alice Cooper's "Raise Your Fist And Yell"

Welcome to the first post in a whole new series I've decided to do. I've done a bunch of different reviews series by now but nothing quite like this. You see, I've decided to dig up old albums which I used to crank on a regular basis, but have kind of "forgotten" about in more recent years. I guess you could also call it nostalgia reviews, of sorts.

I will also review each album in this series differently to previous reviews. Instead of writing the review more like a summary of everything, I'm gonna do detailed commenting on each track as well as the albums' productions and overall sounds. What am I waiting for, let's get started!

Band/artist: Alice Cooper
Album: Raise Your Fist And Yell
Release year: 1987
Style: Heavy Metal 

Quick introduction: Alice Cooper goes far back with me. As a child I really enjoyed his music, although it was mostly some of his 70's hits. I always loved old school metal and hard rock music as a kid, having young metalhead parents and all, but when I got my own interest in the subject there wasn't much love for Alice Cooper. Apart from Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and AC/DC there wasn't really much 70's stuff that I liked. Being an 80's metal fanatic, however, I somehow stumbled upon this album around 2007 and it was my key into Alice Cooper, but I haven't really listened much to it since cirka 2009, though.

1. Freedom

Unlike any other AC album prior to this one, this album starts off with this king of raging metal statement. A statement against the infamous PMRC - metal music's number one enemy in the 1980's. It's an anthem, a call to arms against the censorist cunts who tried to ban what we all love. Killer drums and overall a very memorable and heavy tune. It really put Alice on the 80's metal map, that's for sure.

2. Lock Me Up

This was always somewhat of a favorite track on the album, at least back in the day. Very anthemic, melodic and super 80's style heavy metal. Some people will probably think it's dated and cheesy as hell, but that's one of the many things I love about 80's metal - lots of reverb, anthemic sing-along melodies and immense power in sound and spirit. The cameo by Freddy Krueger is a great touch as well.

3. Give The Radio Back

This is one of the tracks I remember best from ten years ago. Great riff, quite catchy although not as powerful chorus as the previous tracks, but overall a cool song. Not one of my favorites on the album but it's decent enough not to feel like filler material.

4. Step On You

Very cool track and one of my favorites. Super catchy melodies and memorable instrumentation. Glam Rambo a.k.a. Kane Roberts really busts out some chops on this one, from playful noisy stuff to showcasing his skill and finesse.

5. Not That Kind Of Love

Probably my least favorite track on the album yet still a decent track. It's just not as engaging as the others.

6. Prince Of Darkness

Probably the catchiest and possibly also the most memorable song on the entire album. This has got everything that makes for a classic 80's heavy metal tune. I also can't help but to feel like they took this one somewhat more seriously than the other tracks. Maybe it's because it was in the John Carpenter movie with the same name.

7. Time To Kill

Another killer track with some great guitar work. Probably my favorite track if judged by the guitars only, but the chorus is very catchy as well. A very competent and musically thought through song. Kane Roberts also shaped one of his finest solos in this one.

8. Chop Chop Chop

Part one in what's considered something of a "trilogy" on this album, namely the album's last three tracks. Great riff and song overall but I feel the chorus is perhaps a bit lazy. It's just like that Dio song "Shoot Shoot". I just don't like it when the chorus turns into a one word "mantra" for some reason.

9. Gail

This is as classic Alice Cooper as it gets. Very atmospheric. It could've also been something straight from a King Diamond album. Very ghastly sounding.

10. Roses On White Lace

Another favorite of mine, as well as for many other fans it seems. It's a very heavy and engaging track with a faster tempo. Great riffing, powerful solo, cuper catchy chorus, and the mid section is a slightly blissful moment amidst all the chaos. I bet this was a rippin' track during the live tour.

Overall impression:

This is a very good album with some real standout tracks. A few tracks are definitely not as strong but I never feel like the album truly dips into mediocrity. It keeps a good balance throughout its entire duration and I also find it catchy and revisitable. The production is also pretty crisp and clear enough. It's not polished like the Trash album and not as cheesy sounding as Constrictor. It's got a pretty organic feel, I'd say. It seems like the production was definitely made with the songs' sound and character in mind.

I really liked this album back when I first heard it over ten years ago. Having not listened to it much, if at all, since the very end of the last decade, I still find this album highly enjoyable not to mention extremely underrated. It might be a bit on the heavy side for an Alice Cooper album, but I for one am really happy he decided to embrace a heavier side as well. Hell, after hearing the Brutal Planet album this one is pretty tame in comparison. That is, by the way, another underrated but totally killer album from AC.

Being more of an Alice Cooper fan for these past ten years than I was during my first five as a metalhead, I can happily say that Raise Your Fist And Yell is one of my top-3 favorite albums of his. It really is a great album, if you can look past a few moments of extreme 80's cheese. If you're like me, however, it will probably just make you like it even more.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar