tisdag 22 maj 2012

West Of Hell - Spiral Empire (2012)


2012 has musically been pretty damn good so far, and we're not even quite half through it, yet. I've been pretty active with checking out new bands / releases lately and I stumbled on this little piece of metal music. It features the singer from Zimmers Hole and Mechanism (both featuring my favorite drummer Gene Hoglan, unfortunately he ain't playing on this album, but it's a great drummer on this album nonetheless), whose voice I like quite a lot. Musically the band themselves said this is a variety record and I can do nothing but agree. While its main roots are in the thrash folder, it still crosses the lines of other genres as heavy and I even guess progressive, groove and power metal to some extent.

The musicians, apart from singer "The Heathen", are no guys I've heard of before, but they don't lack any skill in playing and keeping their shit together. The guitars are really cool, with some great riffing but especially solos, I have to say. At least that was the biggest surprise to me, guitar-wise. The rhythm section is heavy and in full-throttle with a thick bass and massive drums, and together the whole mix is nicely done and every instrument is heard.

The somewhat (small) let-downs of this album is the album production. First off, "Death Magnetic" anyone?? The thing is clearly in the red. I HATE that. Secondly it sounds like a toy at times, you know like a toy machine or something, plastic-ly basically. But it ain't thaaat bad anyway, just a liiitle at times, that's all.

Material-wise I can't really put my finger on any "hit(s)" on this album as it's very consistent all through, but on the other hand it's not always good either. Sometimes it's actually very great to have that "special tune" everybody either loves or hates, but maybe most importantly - catches the attention of the listener. Therefore, I can't really give any tip on what song(s) to try out, so try the whole album instead. It's worth it.

Final rating: 8,7 / 11 ("this go to eleven" ;-) )

Listen to the whole album for FREE at Spotify, and some money will go to the band / rightholders.


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar