tisdag 8 november 2016

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and its microtransactions

Hello all gamers out there! Today I'm gonna rant a bit and voice my disappointment with the new Deus Ex game. Nothing too surprising perhaps, but I've gotta get my word out there.

A bunch of players out there are sure to be familiar with the Deus Ex series, it goes back quite a while now. Personally I didn't play any of the franchise's installments before Human Revolution in 2011, but that one really sold me. It's one of the best stealth games I've played and it also boosted my interest in the genre as a whole. I was looking forward to the next Deus Ex for a few years after that, and just recently Mankind Divided was released.

Although it's already been out for a little while by now, I actually haven't gotten around to get it for myself yet. The reason behind this is because I've been kind of broke as of late. I recently bought myself a new gaming PC as my old faithful friend finally gave in after 10 years, although nothing was playable on it for the past five years.

I've been a console player (again) for the past 6-7 years, and thus I played Human Revolution on my old Xbox 360. I really like my new PC, but I've lost a lot of my practice and skills from back in the day. I'd still like to play Mankind Divided on PS4 to get a similar experience to that which I had with its predecessor, but seeing as I'm not currently playing a lot of PS4, the game's been put on further hold for me.

I was actually looking around some webstores for new games now, as I'm a bit curious about Watch Dogs 2 (even though the first one was pretty damn bad), only to remember about this game being released recently. I went on to look it up some more, only to find out the game has gotten microtransactions this time around.

Microtransactions are really something that's like an infection from my point of view. They're like a cheap and greedy way of cashing in more and more from us consumers, and I think it's pretty damn disrespectful to us faithful gamers. This trend is particularly annoying considering how we are presented with largely unfinished games these days, or there are five different editions where all of them come with some kind of exclusive content.

I know all of this is such old news but still! Wherever did the good old customers' satisfaction value go? They split their products up into pieces, often over-pricing them (as DLC:s) as well, and then find ways to milk even more out of the effin' things. There are, of course, a few who does this microtransactions bullshit but still do it somewhat okey. Rockstar Games is one company that does it, for instance. They have 'em, but they also released all of GTA Online's DLC:s for free, and you do earn enough from just actually playing the game and having fun. If anyone's gonna incorporate micro's, then at least do it decently.

Pre-order bonuses, *insert fancy-ass name here* edition exclusives, Gamestop exclusive, remastered edition, complete anniversary edition, cash-4-cash, pay-to-win, etc... FUCK YOU, and kiss my ass. Honestly, are you so fucking dry on new gaming ideas that you have to remaster all your games from two years ago? Unbelievable.

I'm not a stock holder, I'm not their CEO or whatever, I'm just the customer ... and that doesn't seem to be worth a whole lot these days. But you know what? I do have the power, we all do, we - the customers. We have the power to say no, keep our wallets in our pockets, and let all of them fucking starve. If they're gonna be greedy, then let them. We'll be cheap.

Eidos Montreal, Square Enix and whoever else that has helped fucking the gaming business up. All I can say to you is how disappointed I am. As a customer, I hereby decline the offer to buy your new product. I, your former customer, feel like I've had enough of this shitty business model of your industry, and I will no longer support it.

Games with old fashioned expansions are one thing, but this DLC and now increasing microtransactions industry has gone too far. I encourage all other players/customers, like me, who feel forgotten and cheated for years to stand against this greedy business evolution.

A big shoutout to the one and only great gaming studio I can think of today - CD Projekt Red. The Witcher 3 ... now that's a full game with expansions ("DLC:s") done right.

#makegamesgreatagain #couldnotresist

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar